Thursday, May 3, 2018

Browser of choice is now Pale Moon

Pale Moon is a browser that's forked from Firefox.  Despite claims you may see on the internet, it's not an "outdated Firefox" or any of that crap.  It's current as far as security is concerned, it just keeps the older, better, non-Australis interface.

A XT-Style Bulleted List™ summary of events leading up to this:
  • My aging Windows XP computer that I'd been doing all my gaming on died.
  • I switched to using a laptop that used to belong to my grandfather back when he didn't have dementia (and wasn't dead lol)
  • I didn't initially want to go installing things willy-nilly on it, so between the choices of the two installed browsers, Internet Explorer and Chrome, I chose Chrome.
  • I used Chrome exclusively in an incognito window.
  • To this day my opinion of Chrome is unchanged: it's a toy web browser.  It works, it does some things well, but it lacks the power and customizability that I want.
  • I investigated my browser options and found Pale Moon.
  • After a while of trial usage, I switched to it full-time.
That's pretty much it, really.  After I switched to it full-time, I spent a good while customizing the interface with the aid of the DOM Inspector, Stylish, and the occasional jank of loading chrome://browser/content/browser.xul in a tab so I could run JavaScript in its context to figure things out more better.